Saturday, June 7, 2008

Unattainable Aspirations

It seems to me that people spend too much pursuing things that there is no way in hell they can get. Think about it. Have you ever been sitting with someone, watching TV, and some insanely hot woman comes on, prompting the other guys in the room to begin to outline in somewhat disturbing detail how they would like to spend an evening with her? Exactly, I'm sure the millionaire actress in interested in your Dixie cup and gopher fantasies. Hey, guess what...Its not gonna happen buddy.

It all reminds me of when I was aboot 4 years old. I became completely fed up with my parents and decided to run away from home. Now, I wasn't one of those retarded kids who packs up his stuffed animals and leaves in the middle of the night. I packed up two boxes of Cheerios and a blanket and hit the road. I was on my way to Canada to become, umm...a Canadian I guess, and I knew what it took to get by in the world. Unfortunately after discovering that they won't sell bus tickets to 4 year olds I was stranded at a bus station in North Carolina with a half box of Cheerios and no money. Not a good place to be. To sum up the rest of the story, I learned a very hard lesson about what it takes to make money as a four year old in a bus station...

The moral of the above story is that you shouldn't spend your time wishing you had something that you can't have and use that time to develop those things you can. This is a hard lesson to learn. It took me several years to cope with the fact that I could never be Canadian. I could never be the man that Colin Mochrie was...My dreams of proudly smoking dope and playing hockey were crushed, and I would never be the same again. But I grew up, I moved on, and I learned not to watch re-runs of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" late at night...

Sorry for the aboot a few paragraphs ago, I guess some dreams never completely die...

No comments: