Monday, June 16, 2008

Huh?

Today I saw what was probably the most useless thing I have ever witnessed. I saw a deaf man at McDonald's...completely deaf...rocking out and playing air guitar. Complete with monotone humming. The guy was using sign language, could not hear a damn thing...so what does this accomplish? At first, I was in shock. I could not imagine why this man would do this. It seemed me to be the same as if I were to try using sign language to talk to him. I don't know sign language! I would probably end up accidentally calling his mom a whore and get my ass kicked.

Whats the point of this ridiculous and slightly offensive story? This man reminded me of another group of people who, like him, are exerting a significant amount of energy making noise with no apparent concept of what they are saying. This group of people is, of course, the hard-core conservatives of this country. The conservative reaction to the Supreme Courts decision to require due diligence for Guantanamo Bay detainees has been appalling. Specifically, Monica Crowley, a conservative radio talk show host, has been the most disturbing. Crowley has stated that by allowing detainees to have a Federal trial we are putting national security at risk. She continues to mock anyone who supports these rights for detainees, saying that they are "Liberal Crybabies" who would rather whine than protect our country.

This is pathetic. The Supreme Court has not voted to grant amnesty or release detainees. They have simply voted to require the same standards of a trial that any criminal in this country can expect. Why is this a crime? How does this put our national security at risk? We are putting them on trial, not giving them ice cream and cake! The statements made by Crowley and others show their lack of faith in the United States judicial system. Oh crap! If we put them on trial they may be found innocent! Then who will we blame? Why can't we just take them out back and shoot them now and avoid the possibility that they could be innocent?

To preface: I am making no statements to the guilt or innocence of those being detained at Guantanamo Bay. I am not an attorney, nor am I familiar with the intricacies of the cases. However, I would like Crowley and her colleagues to consider the following scenario: Imagine you are detained in a foreign country. Imagine that you are indeed innocent, and have been unjustly detained. Now imagine that a group of people in the country where you are being detained have classified you as less than human, grouped you with other detainees (all of which for the sake of this hypothetical are guilty), and punish you without a proper trial. Everyday before this you will be screaming about your God-given rights as a human being, and that you deserve the opportunity to prove you are innocent. Unfortunately for you, the country where you are being held believes that those God-given rights only extend to their citizens. Sorry, but you are clearly guilty because we say you are. I am willing to bet that in this situation you would be pleading for a "liberal crybaby" to come along and help.

If your going to argue that detainees do not deserve a Federal trial thats your business. But if you are, then please have a logical reason for doing so. Do not resort to playing on a false sense of patriotism, do not demonize those who disagree with you, and do not continually use Barack Obama's middle name as if it some how makes him a terrorist. This is childish, and the final refuge of a weak mind in an argument. Do not call me a terrorist, or question my dedication to the security of my family and country because I disagree with your opinion on this matter. Grow up. Learn to debate without name calling and self-righteousness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on, dude. Liberty and Justice for ALL. Not all males, not all white people, and not all who just so happened to have been born on American soil. For ALL.