Saturday, May 17, 2008

Fun in the Workplace

I work in a bank. It may be an in-store branch, but it is in fact a "real" bank. It is amazing how many of the customers are unable to comprehend this simple concept. "Oh, I can cash a check here? I Can open a home equity line here? Damn, I thought you were just here to give me directions on how to get to the real bank." Exactly. The bank has invested billions into opening in store directory stands. My branch is not a kiosk, a check cashing stand, or a "satellite branch". My branch does not, in fact, orbit another branch.

These unfortunate but inevitable situations aside, I hate my job. Don't get me wrong, the job is not hard or really all that bad. Honestly, a monkey with a stick could do what I do. However, were you to look on the primate evolutionary chart, my manager would be seen hanging out with the monkeys who have yet to master the stick, and are still flinging poo at each other for fun. She has worked in banking for about 2 years now, and is still incapable of performing the simplest of everyday tasks. She defers to me on almost everything she does, including things I as a banker have no business knowing how to do. Like interpreting the branches financial stance and explaining managerial incentive plans to her and the other stick-less monkeys in the district. When I leave the branch she is completely screwed.

And to top it all off, she routinely lies to her employees. Its about the most ridiculous things, yet she insists on lying. For the most part, the only motivation to lie is simply that she is too lazy to take the time to tell the truth. It makes for a fantastic work environment...

But, I start med school in August, and won't be working there much longer.

No comments: