Thursday, June 11, 2009

Online Poker

The U.S. Attorney's office has frozen over $30 million in winnings owed to online poker players in an attempt to crack down on the online poker industry. Players who recently attempted to deposit checks from online winnings, many of which depend on online poker to pay their bills, were greeted by a wonderful bounced check fee. While the government contends that online poker is illegal, the actual laws regarding the issue are so vague that no one can actually tell one way or another...

This is seriously fucked up. I am ecstatic to see that our government, having solved all our other problems, is now going after the assets of law abiding citizens. Why is this happening? Who at the justice department was attacked by online poker as a child? Who decided it was worthwhile to waste taxpayer money to come and take away mine?

Honestly, I am so pissed right now I can barely compose a coherent sentence (as I am sure you can tell). My gas and electricity are both about to get shut off due to an unexpected emergency room visit that has left me completely broke, and my only hope for paying these bills was to win a poker tournament. Now I can't do that because some jackass, who I am sure is well payed, decided to throw a fit and take the money away from me. I can't get a job that will pay me enough to cover these bills in time, and I don't own anything of value that I can sell, so what am I supposed to do? I won a free tournament to get into this larger game, and now it won't even matter if I win...guess I better start finding some candles...

2 comments:

Ben said...

I'd go to the tournament anyway. The ban might scare off some of your tougher competitors, and even if they hold back the money, you should get it eventually.

They can't freeze that kind of money forever.

Unknown said...

This is truly innovative and insightful information. Thanks! The U.S. Attorney's office has frozen over $30 million in winnings owed to Online Poker players in an attempt to crack down on the online poker industry.